Yes, it's been a while since I've posted. Meh. Such is life.
I'm determined to get this coat mod done. As I've been working through, I have realized that I'm putting, oh, $400-$600 worth of work (conservatively) into this project. (Translation: don't ask me to do this for YOU unless you are my captain/dear friend/sister/crush object. Combined. No, seriously.) I was quite pointed in wanting to do this, so the recipient may NOT get all guilty on me. Because I'll be sad. No, I will, so STOP THAT. You know ewho you are.
The wanting was mostly on the behalf of Wanting To See If I Could. Turns out, I can. YAY!
Collar: Finally came to my senses and removed the collar (I'd say "ripped out," but that's sempstress terminology and sounds far more violent than what actually happened).
This is a picture with the collar removed.
I'm pretty sure I included pictures of the collar in progress, so here it is pinned in:
And sewn in:
So far, looks good, yes? Well, no. I somehow managed to avoid noticing that the original coat closed asymetrically. Wait, you didn't see it either? Here you go:
Now do you see it? See how one side is longer to overlap the other side? Yeah, excellent in an evening coat, not so fabulous in a captain's coat. After a blessedly brief freakout, during which I apparently forgot that I own SCISSORS, I got back to business. What you see in the front-of-sewn-collar image above is that extra bit pinned in while I was coming back to my senses.
Now, sleeves/cuffs. I have some gray velveteen that matches coat in texture and weight AND will be under the big ol' cuffs. so not visible. Here's some pictures of the sleeve exensions during construction:
...it was at this point that I realized that I need to put the pretty fabric on both sides of the visible cuff, and the lining fabric only needs to line the added-velvet part to match the lining inside the currrent piece. Yeah. Oops. That's what I'm doing now, and you can thank me for making this mistake for you. <bowing>